Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Hearing God's Voice

While driving to work this morning, I couldn't help but think about the Laodicean Church in Revelation 3:14-24 and the times we are living in.  We are neither cold nor hot; we are lukewarm.  We don't know what we stand for or believe in... but Jesus said 

"Here I am, I stand at the door and knock,
 If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, 
I will come in and eat with him and he with me. " 

Are we listening for Jesus' voice? In the Old Testament God sent prophets to speak to his people. Prophets would speak truth, speak conviction, speak repentance, speak a future hope in the coming Messiah. Most often the people didn't heed the warning and calamity came. Does God still send prophets today? I do not know? But... I will say God still speaks to his people today through his word, through his holy spirit living in us, and I believe, through other people unaware of God's plan.

With that in mind I am going to bring up this fall's election. This is not a push for a party or a person.  I believe people are fearful of the future if their party candidate does not win. We do not know or understand the plan God has but often in biblical history the people got the exact kind of leader they begged for.  I have complete confidence that America will get the exact kind of leader we beg for. From where I see it, neither candidate is of a standard that I would like to see on the ballot.  We can fight over who lies more, who respects women less and the list continues...both are flawed and sinful people who need the grace, mercy and forgiveness of Jesus Christ, just like we all do.  We are called to lift our leaders up in prayer so that is what we all should be doing.

But...I must share that I can't help but think that God is trying to wake us up one last time, like a plea to the Laodicean Church,   


You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’
 And you don’t realize that you are wretched and 
miserable and poor and blind and naked. 
 So I advise you to buy gold from me—
gold that has been purified by fire. 
Then you will be rich. 
Also buy white garments from me 
so you will not be shamed by your nakedness,
 and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. 
 I correct and discipline everyone I love. 
So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

We have become a culture that believes itself to be rich, just like ancient Israel, we have wandered off and followed other gods-god of money, god of selfishness and pride.  Honestly I don't believe a D vote or an R vote will change the hearts and souls of people. Again, how would God speak to the people...through his word the bible, through his Holy Spirit or through other believers.  I can't help but notice a VP candidate, now don't get all huffy and stop reading. He is a human flawed and sinful, like we all are. It's not about the vote, it's much bigger than that.  

I watched both party conventions in July and his words spoke volumes.  He introduced himself  " I am a Christian, a conservative and a republican in that order". Wow, he identifies himself first and foremost with Christ. Later in September at the prayer breakfast he read scripture from 2 Chronicles 7:14,  He spoke of humbleness and repentance.

Then if my people who are called by my name
 will humble themselves and pray and seek my face
 and turn from their wicked ways, 
I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins
 and restore their land.

Then during the VP debate when asked about his faith-he didn't affiliate it with his denomination. He again identified his faith with Christ. When asked what is most dear to his heart he spoke of abortion and the rights of our unborn children.  * I have much to say on this matter but I will refrain!  He again spoke scripture Psalm 139:13-16.

For You formed my inward parts;

         You wove me in my mother’s womb.

I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

         Wonderful are Your works,
         And my soul knows it very well.

My frame was not hidden from You,

         When I was made in secret,
         And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

Now, if this is striking a nerve, I apologize, I am only sharing the scripture that was shared with the nation by a man who identifies himself with Christ, attributes his faith to Christ and is willing to stand with scripture to guide and lead his beliefs.  Again, I am not sharing this to sway a vote, I am sharing because I believe God is speaking to his people, not as a way for who to vote for, but as an invitation for us to HEAR HIS VOICE, OPEN THE DOOR TO OUR HEARTS and HAVE FELLOWSHIP with HIM!  Let us seek him; let us be a city on a hill and a light in the darkness. Now is the time for brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus to unite in peace, love, boldness and truth! 

MARANATHA!
~2RJL






No comments:

Post a Comment